100 Million Girls At Risk of Early Marriage In Nigeria - Action Aid
The Action Aid Nigeria has said most girls in Nigeria were married off at aged 18, putting the figure at 75 per cent.
The body posited that 100 million girls in the country might be at risk of early marriage if such early marriage continues.
Deputy Country Director of the organisation, Mrs Ifeoma Charles-Monwuba said this when the group organised a two-day conference on the “Social Protection of the Girl-Child.”
Charles-Monwuba, who sees education as the only key to curtail early marriage, added that, “girls married off early often failed to maximise their potentials in life, and at risk of threatening diseases due to engagement in domestic activities without much knowledge of.”
She however advocated quality education for the girls' child ensuring, “Right to education, inclusive, equitable quality education and promoting lifelong learning opportunities for all.
“According to UN Population Council of 2013, 75 per cent of girls in Nigeria get married before they attain the age of 18.
“100 million girls under the age of 18 will marry in the next decade if the current trend continues,” she said.
According to her, some of the odds faced by the girl child faced when married off early in life include “the higher risk of physical and emotional violence.
- Pere doesn’t stand a chance with Maria outside BBN
- Goz Captures Nigeria’s Vat Crisis With Dangerously
- Sensational gospel singer, Ese Bliss Biography and
- New Music: Stonebwoy Teams Up With Amapiano Croone
- ‘BBNaija house has broken and restored my faith’ -
- Chidi Nwaogu listed by YNaija among Most Powerful
- REVIEW: KOB sequel reflects Nigeria’s politics and
- ALBUM REVIEW: Omawumi addresses societal ills in ‘
- The first time I smoked ,I coughed, everyone laugh
- Watch the words you use in your songs — Yvonne Nel