Waje, Toolz, others want govt to prioritise health sector
By Obinna Mbajunwa
Top Nigerian celebrities including Toolz, Ali Nuhu, Waje, Yemi Alade, and Hon. Desmond Elliot have come together through the theme, Make Naija Stronger, under the umbrella of the renowned ONE campaign to urge the government to adhere to its commitment to the 2001 African Union Abuja Commitment as it prepares to finalise the 2017 budget.
Fifteen years ago, all African governments made a commitment in Abuja to increase health funding to 15% of their budgets. However, the commitment has never been met by the Nigerian government, and only 4.37% of the 2016 budget was allocated to health.
“As a proud and patriotic Nigerian, it's particularly distressing to me that our country is suffering from a silent killer, health crisis, which is completely avoidable,” says A-list singer, Waje.
“It's time to act, Naija. We must come together with one voice and tell our government to do more by investing in the health of our children and families. By doing so, we'll Make Naija Stronger.”
Ali Nuhu, a household name in Kannywood, added his voice to the call, saying, “Enough is enough! This is the message we are sending to government. A healthy Nigeria makes a wealthy Nigeria and we need to stand together to Make Naija Stronger. Now it's your turn. If you haven't added your voice to ask for our nation's health system to be made better, you need to do so right now.”
The celebrities all spoke at the launch of the ONE campaign's new public service announcement video which features the stellar lineup calling for urgent action to invest in public health.
- Raunchy, Sassy, Daring - Nigerian Rapper, Nappy Gi
- Miss Vivian Okpala crowned The New Face Of Nigeria
- Jessy emerges winner of ‘Help the Hard Worker’ Awa
- Rashida Bello Expensively Stormed Dubai For Weight
- Nigeria Entrepreneur and Philanthropist Chief Ndui
- Pastor Dickson Of Wealthy Nations Ministry Weds Mi
- Nigeria- International Beauty, Entrepreneur and Su
- Bold. Beautiful. Daring. It's Shaffy Bello in All
- First Of It's Kind Nigeria Made "TAT Fragrance" La
- 24 Years UNN Undergraduate Chioma Patyline Emerges