Weekend special: Afang soup
Easter is a special season for families and friends and an occasion for celebration time for celebration. Whether you are planning a special breakfast, lunch or dinner for your families and friends, this delicacy will definitely make a difference this Easter
Afang soup is a classic dish from Cross River State and indeed one of my favourites. The unique flavours derived from the afang leaves combines with the richness of other ingredients tp produce that superb taste that appeals to a wider spectrum of palates.
-Assorted meats (cowtail, tripe, ponmo, bushmeat)
-Snails (washed with lemon or lime)
- Dried fish (washed)
-Periwinkle (top & tail shell)
-Whole dry prawns (cleaned)
-Medium sized onion
-Afang leaves/okazi (washed, shredded & pounded)
-Waterleaf (prepared & washed)
-Stock or water
-Salt to taste
Wash the assorted meat thoroughly and place in a pot. Add the sliced onions, ground chillies and some stock or water. Cook for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, remove the snails from their shells and wash with lemon or lime juice to remove slime. Wash the smoked dry fish with salt and leave soaking in boiling water for 5-8 minutes to kill any insect and loosen any sand or grit. Rinse out thoroughly with lots of cold water.
With the blunt end of a knife, top and tail the periwinkles and wash thoroughly. Add the prepared ingredients and the stock fish to the pot of meat; continue cooking for additional 10 minutes, adding more stock as required.
Finally, add the pounded afang leaves, washed waterleaf and crayfish. Give it a good stir and bring to the boil. Add palm oil, check seasoning and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes until the soup is well blended. Remove from heat, dish unto a plate and serve with pounded yam or fufu, amala and eba.
By Tunde Fabunmi
- Ex Beauty Queen & Singer April Chidinma Dazzles In
- MUKHY TAKES US ON A CRUISE IN NEW VIDEO OF DEBUT S
- Ibrahim Suleiman And Linda Ejiofor Share Their Lov
- President Buhari reappoints Chidia Maduekwe to hea
- Falz, Praiz, Timaya, Others Grace The Willis Give
- Face of Nigeria 2020/2021 winner, Vivian Okpala re
- I want to setup an internationally recognised fash
- Miss Apex Queen Nigeria world 2020, Ene John unvei
- Dr. KevinChukwumobi, APAMS boss celebrates 50th bi
- Freshbydotun unveils 2021 New Year Collection “For