Behind the scene | 18 August 2015 11:06 CET

How Fire Service Disappointed Me—Kate Henshaw

Source: Maryjane Ezeh/

Sometimes in June 2015, a fire incident occurred at the Lekki, Lagos residence of veteran Nollywood actress, Kate Henshaw. The incident reportedly left her devastated, but she was able to pick herself up and move on with her life.

In fact, after the incident, she cancelled some functions she could have attended, including the premiere of a new flick called 'Do Good', which was held just few days after the inferno. She was said to have packed out of the apartment to allow a refurbishment to take place.

Last weekend, Kate Henshaw picked up the City People Face of Nollywood award.

Kate, who spoke about lessons from the incident, told City People that, “There are two choices, either you stand up or you stay down. There are many people who have gone through such fire experience and lost their lives but there is no scratch on me, the will power is what matters. I was at that point where I said what's the use? Where am I going to start from? But I thank God.”

She further said, “The house got burnt and I lost everything. I really don't know what happened because I was here on the 'Do Good' set, I was filming, and was about to have lunch when my nanny called me and was like 'madam fire'.

“I told her to get people to throw water on it and didn't even know it was like a big fire. I immediately got up and by the time I turned into the street before mine, I could see the sky was black.

“I got there and there were people everywhere and nobody could get in. Because the first thing about fire is the smoke, it's going to make it totally impossible to get in, and it could kill you. I called the fire service for over 2 hours and there was no response, by the time they came, everything had gone.

“The house was razed completely. But I am talking to you now, and I am glad to be alive. Winning this award further goes to show that as long as there is life, you can hope for tomorrow.”

Other sites The Nigerian Voice