£3,000 UK Visa Bond, Insult to Nigeria – Oba of Lagos
Oba-Rilwanu-Aremu-AkioluOba Rilwan Akiolu, Oba of Lagos, has described the £3000 visa bond being proposed by the United Kingdom's Home Office for Nigerians wishing to enter the UK as an insult to Nigerians.
Akiolu who spoke at an event where Peter Carter, deputy British High Commissioner, was present, berated the decision of the British government, saying the move was also an insult on Nigeria as a country.
The monarch said “Nigerians do not welcome the idea and the government of the United Kingdom (UK) should do something urgently to reverse the decision.”
The British envoy in a swift reaction, said the decision was meant to checkmate high risk applicants adding that media report over the matter had caused a lot of upset.
He said the UK Home office initiated the pilot scheme involving a lot of countries, but said no form of decision had been taken yet over the matter.
Public outcries in Nigeria and other countries affected by United Kingdom's controversial plan for a £3,000 bond on persons from Nigeria and other listed countries seeking entry to the UK forced the British government to rethink the policy
It would be recalled that Theresa Mary May, British Home secretary had put forward a £3,000 cash bond to deter “high risk” Asian and African short-term visitors from overstaying in Britain.
The scheme was floated at the weekend by the home secretary and provoked uproar in India and Nigeria, which were among the six countries named as possible targets, with threats that reciprocal action should be taken against British visitors.
The other countries were Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Ghana.
Click the link below to go to...
- Nigerian American music executive, Akeju features
- Flavour, Grammy-award winner Gordon Williams to he
- I have a very funny side - Joselyn Dumas
- Nigeria's Rep, Esther Gabriel shares stunning phot
- Superboy Cheque Thrills Audience To An Intimate Li
- James Johnson makes a comeback with new collection
- Interview: What AfroZons Dubai Soundoff is - Sheil
- I rejected small roles when I started my acting c
- Hollywood Prestigious Awards To Honour Dr. Michael
- Showmax drops spicy trailer for Basketmouth’s, Gha