Kenya and Nigeria shine with choice films
Nigerian film industry dubbed Nollywood cemented its top position in Africa with 50 nominations for the Africa Movie Awards on Friday night.
During the nomination gala dinner held at Ole Sereni Hotel, Kenya bagged nine nominations emerging, alongside South Africa, as the film competitors posing a threat to Nigerian dominance.
The film Soul Boy was the most promising from Kenya, earning five nominations. Its producer Hawa Essuman was nominated for the category of Best Director while the movie earned nominations in the Best Film class and Achievement in Screenplay award.
It was also nominated in the Best Film in an African Language.
Two of the actors Samson Odhiambo and Leila Dayan were both nominated for the Prize for the Best Young Actor.
The other Kenyan nominations came courtesy of Zebu Ni Zebu and The Photofish whose star actor Benjamin Abemigisha was nominated for the Best Child Actor. The film by Zipporah Nyarori was also nominated for the Best Short Film.
Headlines in history, a documentary that illustrates major headlines through Nation Media Group's history, also got the nod for Best Documentary.
Kenya's other nomination came courtesy of Wanjiru Kairu's short film Weakness that is also contending for the Prize for Best Short Film.
This is the first time the nomination dinner was held in Kenya. The actual award ceremony, the seventh since the award was founded, will be held in Nigeria on March 27.
According to Peace Anyiam-Osigwe, the awards are meant to unite the creativity in the continent of Africa.
Kenya Information minister Samuel Poghisio lauded the organisers for honouring Kenya by bringing the nomination dinner to the country.
The ceremony attracted big names in film from Cameroon, Tanzania, South Africa, Namibia among other countries.
- I rejected small roles when I started my acting c
- Hollywood Prestigious Awards To Honour Dr. Michael
- Showmax drops spicy trailer for Basketmouth’s, Gha
- Burna Boy Shuts Down Los Angeles With His Space Dr
- Nollywood actress Queeneth Agbor surprised with lu
- Idia Aisien is Serving Supermodel Vibes in Polo Av
- Tessy Solomon The Melanin Queen Nigeria Photogenic
- Paschal Offor welcomes Jeriqthehussla to the Passy
- Zomoge Inspired drops debut collection for men tag
- Idia Aisien SLAYS on Red Carpet at ‘Bad Boys and B